Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Un-abling-help him to get the help he needs to help himself. 


This brief video provides an overview of six skills to help families and significant others who are affected by a person who has a substance abuse or addicti...

ADDICTION AND THE FAMILY SYSTEM PT 1 JIM SAVAGE, LCDC
https://t.co/rzaDtNPBOy
AAA12StepCCCSociety
@AAA12Steps4U
The "8-second lecture on chemical dependency" and the ""8 second lecture on codependency." Concise, simple explanation of what happens when there is addictio...

Watching a family member or loved one struggling with addiction is one of the most painful things that any person can have to go through. The dishonesty and ...

AMAZING tape! Dr. Bob's son Bob "Smitty" S. shares his Al-Anon story ...

Bob D. - Spiritual Principles and the 12 Traditions of AA · Aa Youtube12 TraditionsSpiritual PrinciplesHay ...

The revolving, yet rigid roles of the chemically dependent family are discussed in detail in this section. These would include the addict, the codependent, t...

I am the lost child of my dysfunctional family. This is an introduction to role of the lost child in a dysfunctional family. Children from dysfunctional fami...

Inline image 3Inline image 1Inline image 2
Inline image 6

My Gratitude Links from God =got them back..with God's Help!!

Forgiving others and ourselves John Bradshaw -YouTubes













Un-abling-help him to get the help he needs to help himself. 
It is not helping my child if I do things for him that he can (and should) do for himself. Instead, by diminishing expectations, I diminish his capabilities. I amun-abling.
Un-abling means that I am helping to make the son I am "helping" unable to manage his task--or his life--on his own. It is crossing boundaries, reducing responsibilities, removing consequences, and cheating him of things adults need to learn in order to live (and love) life on their own. It's providing an escape hatch from the realities of life.
So, I will not give in, hand out, set up, or fix up my child's messes and catastrophes until I am, inevitably, unable to enable. (Or unwilling. Or burned out.) I will not help to leave my child so un-abled that he is unable to handle the business of running whatever is left of his life--after he's endured a lifetime of my un-abling. (What happens to my child if he never learns how to rescue himself?) All I can (and should) do is help him to get the help he needs to help himself. That, and love him.
If he sneezes, I'm not the one who should leap for a tissue. And I'm not the one who should want to.

You are reading from the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment